How can I eat healthy when dining out?
Here are tips for healthful eating away from home:
- Choose restaurants that have low-fat, low-cholesterol menu items.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for foods that follow your eating pattern if you can’t find what you need on the printed menu. This is important.
- Order poultry, fish or meat that is broiled, grilled, baked, steamed or poached rather than fried.
- Eat lean deli meats like fresh turkey or lean roast beef instead of higher-fat cuts like salami or bologna.
- Look for vegetables seasoned with herbs or spices rather than butter, sour cream or cheese. Ask for sauces on the side.
- Order a fresh mixed greens salad with char broiled and sliced beef or chicken on top.
- Order a nice steak, use the lean cut choices and have a salad on the side
- Order a nice rack of lamb and say no to the bread and potatoes, but go for that green mixed salad.
- Drink lots of water, instead of wine or beer. You can have Perrier or other carbonated waters, as long as there’s no sugar.
- Order a low-fat dessert like sherbet, fruit ice, sorbet or low-fat frozen yogurt.
- Control serving sizes by asking for a small serving, sharing a dish or taking some home.